Agriculture & Agribusiness
OFW’s attorneys and policy advisors understand the unique challenges and regulatory environment faced by farmers, ranchers, and input suppliers. Although based in Washington, D.C., many of our professionals come from agricultural backgrounds, have prior experience.
Agriculture Law and Policy
Washington D.C. Attorneys and Advisors Offering Expertise in Agricultural Law and USDA Regulation
At OFW Law, we have daily contact with agencies throughout the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Our attorneys and Senior Policy Advisors have worked with officials in, and have themselves served at, the highest levels of the Department. Moreover, they have real world experience raising cattle, hogs, cotton, corn, and even cranberries, as well as exercising direct operational control for food safety in some of the largest USDA-regulated plants in the nation. Our attorneys and Senior Policy Advisors work within not only agriculture law, but also the business of innovative 21st century agriculture, including energy development, production, and use. At OFW Law, we counsel clients on compliance with requirements set forth in the laws that USDA administers. When necessary, our attorneys act immediately to bring clients’ challenges before regulatory authorities, courts, or Congress to ensure that the business of agriculture continues to move forward.
Agriculture Law and Policy
Over the years, our attorneys have assisted clients in interactions with and appearances before:
- The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
- The Farm Service Agency (FSA)
- The Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)
- The Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS)
- The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- The Grain Inspection, Packers, and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA)
- The Risk Management Agency (RMA) and Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC)
- USDA Rural Development
- The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- U.S. Forest Service (USFS)
In the almost 40 years since our founding, we have provided regulatory counsel to a multitude of businesses, from small processors to multi-facility multi-national corporations. We understand the costs associated with regulatory actions, such as plant closures, and provide the legal expertise to limit these costs and get plants back up and running as soon as possible.
Representative Legal and Policy Work in Agriculture
- Helped firms manage recalls of allegedly adulterated or misbranded foods
- Counseled firms on design and implementation of their hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) plans, sanitation standard operating procedures (SSOPs), and other food safety procedures
- Obtained reopening of FSIS-regulated plants after suspension or withdrawal of inspection
- Assisted plants in avoiding plant closures
- Assisted establishments in obtaining approval of new labeling claims on meat and poultry products.
- Successfully lobbied for major amendments to the Federal Meat Inspection Act
- Successfully assisted SNAP (food stamp) vendors in appeals of disqualification charges and determinations before FNS and the federal courts.
- Successfully challenged USDA’s procedure for adopting safe handling and labeling regulations for meat and poultry products
- Achieved policy changes to permit importation of innovative products
- Aided in the development of commercially-viable organic agriculture
- Advised several trade associations in negotiations resulting in an overhaul of the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act
- Successfully defended packers, poultry slaughterers, market agencies and dealers against enforcement actions brought under the Packers and Stockyards Act
- Negotiated resolution of trust claims under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act
- Represented research facilities under investigation for matters regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Represented research facilities in investigations and enforcement actions related to the Animal Welfare Act
- Managed bid protests in USDA procurement programs
- Assisted businesses in obtaining USDA rural development financing
- Worked with clients to identify and respond to production and transportation infrastructure needs
- Worked with clients on forestry policy
- Assisted a wide range of farm producer groups win approval from the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) Board of Directors for new crop insurance plans that better address their risk management needs
- Advised crop insurance companies entering the FCIC program on obtaining a Standard Reinsurance Agreement, and aided companies, agents, and producers alike in a wide range of crop insurance-related disputes