On June 6, 2022, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced it released an online page providing both federal and state resources and contacts available for human and animal food producers who may be “harvesting, mixing, storing, or distributing grains and other foods” prior to and after experiencing a severe or inclement weather event (flood, hurricane, tsunami, etc.). This new page is meant to replace the individual Constituent Update announcements the agency previously issued ahead of severe weather.
Producers should use this online page as a resource prior to and after experiencing severe weather incidents.
Flooding and severe weather is a growing concern as a result of factors such as climate change. Federal and state governments are providing several resources that may assist producers before or after experiencing severe weather incidents. These include, but are not limited to:
- Guidance for Industry: Evaluating the Safety of Flood-affected Food Crops for Human Consumption.
- Safety of Food and Animal Crops affected by Hurricanes, Flooding, and Power Outages.
- Farm Service Agency (FSA) Disaster Assistance Program: USDA offers a variety of programs to help those hit by natural disasters. This includes livestock assistance, farm loans, farmland damage, and crop losses. For example, Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) and Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP).
- USDA Disaster Resource Center: Provides information on how to prepare, recover, and build resilience during disasters and emergencies.
- Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool: Uses individual answers to five (5) questions to identify which program(s) might meet your needs.
- University extension programs have website pages that can offer information and resources to help prepare/recover from extreme weather in your state. For example, the University of Minnesota Extension, University of Georgia Extension, and Iowa State Extension and Outreach. Universities also provide other resources such as the Weather-Ready Program in Nebraska.
Please contact us if you have further questions.